Sushil Iyer (formerly Sushil Shrinivasan), Ph.D., prosecutes patents, represents clients in patent reexamination proceedings, and provides strategic counsel on U.S. and international patent portfolio development and management.
Sushil has directly drafted and prosecuted or supervised the drafting and prosecution of several hundred patent applications. He conducts and leads freedom-to-operate analyses, landscape searches, and due diligence studies, and provides patent validity, infringement, and enforceability opinions to clients ranging from emerging companies to Fortune 100 corporations.
Sushil advises clients in bringing their products to market, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating licensing deals and other intellectual property-related agreements including software-as-a-service agreements, privacy policies, terms and conditions for software use, master sales agreements, and nondisclosure agreements, among many others.
Sushil’s technical focus is on the mechanical, chemical engineering, computer-related, and applied sciences arts. He has extensive experience in:
- Oil and gas drilling, completion, production, and processing
- Medical devices
- Energy generation and conversion systems
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Self-driving vehicles
- Consumer electronics and accessories
In the software arts, Sushil's technical focus has been in the areas of user interfaces and human-computer interaction, business intelligence, data analytics, operating systems, databases, e-commerce, client-side and server-side interactions, electronic document processing, and image/audio/video processing and management.
A certified information privacy professional (CIPP/US) and a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Sushil advises clients on the full range of privacy and data security laws, risks, and best practices. His technological background and experience enable him to readily understand and advise on his clients’ complex and emerging data privacy issues and the information technology systems needed to address them.
Sushil is also a member of the firm’s internal training group for patent prosecution and for licensing and IP agreement preparation. Before joining the firm, Sushil earned a doctorate in mechanical and aerospace engineering at the University of Virginia where, as a research scientist, he gained hands-on experience in technologies related to fluid mechanics, heat and mass transfer, microfluidic devices, nanotechnology, software, optics, electrical circuits, biochemistry, and imaging technologies. Before that, he earned a master’s in mechanical engineering from the University of Maryland—Baltimore County.
Volunteer of the Month - April
IAM Patent 1000
- International Association of Privacy Professionals – CIPP/US
- “Python Project for Data Science,” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (March 8, 2022)
- “Python for Data Science, AI & Development,” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (February 19, 2022)
- “Data Science Methodology,” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (February 5, 2022)
- “Tools for Data Science,” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (January 29, 2022)
- “Introduction to Data Analytics,” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (January 15, 2022)
- “What is Data Science?” IBM Course Certificate issued by Coursera (January 7, 2022)