For more than three decades, Ruffin Cordell has served the world’s most prominent brands as lead counsel in high-stakes, high-risk patent and trade secret litigation worldwide. He has averted billions in damages for his clients, fiercely protected their intellectual property and their market share, and shaped patent law in the process. Mr. Cordell’s career highlights include:
- Representing a Fortune 50 consumer electronics manufacturer as lead counsel in its worldwide, multi-billion dollar dispute with Qualcomm.
- Obtaining a limited exclusion order and cease and desist order at the International Trade Commission (ITC) for client Samsung. This gave Samsung a powerful marketplace advantage and negotiation advantage in its global dispute with Sharp Electronics. He also represented Samsung adverse to Ericsson in a series of highly publicized and hotly contested patent licensing disputes involving 24 mobile device patents in the Eastern District of Texas and at the ITC.
- Averting a $1 billion in damages claim against client Marvell Semiconductor by obtaining a verdict of no infringement in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Influencing the creation of new law regarding the use of prospective royalties in patent cases – while also securing a significant jury verdict for an automotive manufacturing client in an Eastern District of Texas case involving hybrid vehicle technology.
In 2012, Mr. Cordell was elected a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in recognition of his exceptional career and remarkable success in the courtroom. Very few lawyers are as agile and experienced in navigating the complexities of patent and trade secret litigation as Mr. Cordell. For example, he has:
- Handled more than 50 cases at the ITC, many involving multi-jurisdictional disputes with U.S. district courts.
- Served as lead counsel in more than three dozen trials, including jury trials in the Northern District of California, Delaware, and the Eastern District of Texas.
- Argued more than two dozen appeals at the Federal Circuit.
Prior to joining Fish, Mr. Cordell served as a patent examiner in computer interface device technology at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- “Section 337 Patent Investigation Management Guide,” UC Berkeley Public Law Research Paper No. 1603330 (May 2010)
Represented a Fortune 50 consumer electronics manufacturer as lead counsel in its worldwide, multi-billion dollar dispute with Qualcomm.
SEVEN Networks v. Samsung (E.D. Tex.). Lead counsel for Samsung in case alleging infringement of seven patents by Samsung mobile phones and tablets. Secured favorable settlement after pretrial hearings.
Lake Cherokee Hard Drive Techs. v. Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. (E.D. Tex.). Trial counsel for Marvell in a memory storage case in which the plaintiff sought more than $1 billion in damages. Obtained jury verdict of noninfringement.
Ericsson Inc., et al. v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., et al. (E.D. Tex.). Represented Samsung in a series of hotly contested and highly publicized patent and licensing disputes in the Eastern District of Texas and the ITC. The cases involved 24 patents covering software and hardware for mobile devices, including phones and tablets.
PAICE v. Toyota Motor Co. (E.D. Tex.). Obtained a significant jury verdict in favor of his client against Toyota. In the process, created new law regarding the use of prospective royalties in patent cases. Mr. Cordell also tried later cases for the same client against Hyundai Motors and Ford Motor Co.
Virtual Solutions LLC v. Microsoft Corp. (S.D.N.Y. & Fed. Cir.). Obtained favorable summary judgment ruling on behalf of client Microsoft and subsequent affirmance on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
Intergraph Corp. v. Intel Corp. (E.D. Tex.). Trial counsel in bench trial on two Intergraph patents relating to parallel processing.
01 Communique Laboratory Inc. v. Citrix Systems Inc. et al. (N.D. Ohio). Won a significant jury verdict of noninfringement for client Citrix Systems in patent case alleging inducement.
International Trade Commission, Section 337 Investigations
Certain Robotic Vacuum Cleaning Devices and Components Thereof Such as Spare Parts (Inv. No. 337-TA-1057). Represented complainant in an investigation relating to robotic vacuum cleaners, autonomous behavior, and embedded systems processing. Succeeded in obtaining limited exclusion order and cease and desist orders.
Certain Hybrid Electric Vehicles and Components Thereof (Inv. No. 337-TA-1042). Represented complainant and secured favorable settlement prior to the initial determination.
Certain Liquid Crystal Display Devices and Products Containing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-631, -634). Represented Samsung in the ITC portion of this global dispute that resulted in actions filed in Japan, Korea, Europe, and the United States. Obtained a limited exclusion order and cease and desist order against Sharp before successfully settling the case, which provided valuable leverage for future negotiations.
Certain Unified Communications Systems, Products and Components Thereof (Inv. No. 377-TA-598). Represented Microsoft in patent litigation against Alcatel-Lucent. The Administrative Law Judge found infringement and no invalidity of one of the asserted patents and recommended an exclusion order.
Certain Flash Memory Devices and Components Thereof, and Products Containing Such Devices and Components (Inv. No. 337-TA-552). Lead counsel for respondent in case involving three patents related to flash memory technology, securing a finding of no violation after full hearing on the merits (affirmed by the full Commission).
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America (2022)
- Ranked in “Band 1″ for Intellectual Property: Patent and International Trade: Intellectual Property (Section 337) by Chambers Global (2020-2021)
- Selected as a Leader in the IP practice area by Chambers USA (2012, 2015-2019, 2021)
- Ranked in “Band 1″ for Intellectual Property Litigation and International Trade: Intellectual Property Litigation by Chambers USA (2013-2021)
- IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2013-2020)
- Selected as “top patent practitioners” in IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012, 2016-2021)
- Inducted as a Fellow into American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in America
- Named Local Litigation Star for DC and National Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation (2013-2015)
- Recognized as one of the industry’s leading litigators in Intellectual Asset Magazine‘s “Patent Litigation 250” (2011)
- The Lawdragon Leading Lawyers in America (2010)
- Among the “Top 50 Under 45” attorneys in IP Law & Business (2008)
- One of the Legal Times’ “Leading IP Lawyers in D.C.” (2003)
Ruffin Cordell is “extremely good on his feet and a top IP trial lawyer.”
“He is hard working, engaging and articulate, and fantastic at managing the strategic aspects of his cases.”
“Ruffin has a high level of seniority and experience and manages big cases brilliantly. His performances in court are always great – he’s extremely sharp thinking on his feet and has a folksy, unpretentious style that goes down well.”
— 2018-2019 IAM Patent 1000
“He’s strategic; he has a way of thinking about litigation as a whole, and presenting things in a very straightforward manner.”
“Ruffin brings a tremendous amount of experience in large multi-patent litigations. He has a great line of trial experience and a great reputation.”
“Ruffin is an extremely talented trial lawyer.”
“Ruffin is a three-in-one person, he does it all.”
— Client testimonials, 2017-2019 Chambers and Partners
J.D. magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Georgetown University Law Center (1989)
B.S. Tau Beta Pi, Electrical Engineering, Louisiana State University (1985)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office 1989
- Texas 1989
- Virginia 1993
- District of Columbia 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
August 31, 2021
Fish & Richardson Secures Precedential Damages Win for Micron Technology in Federal Circuit Appeal
August 19, 2021
Fish Attorneys Recognized in 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America
July 7, 2021
Fish & Richardson Receives Top Rankings in 2021 Edition of IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals
May 26, 2021
Fish & Richardson Ranks in Top “Band 1” Nationwide Rankings for Intellectual Property and ITC Practices in Chambers USA 2021
August 12, 2020
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Gold” Ranking from IAM Patent 1000 for National Litigation Practice; National Rankings in the Plaintiff Firm and Prosecution Firm Categories
August 4, 2020
32 Fish & Richardson Attorneys Named 2020 “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine
June 2, 2020
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Band 1” National Rankings for Intellectual Property and ITC Practices in Chambers USA 2020
March 18, 2020
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Band 1” 2020 Rankings for Patent and ITC Practices from Chambers Global
June 20, 2019
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Gold” Ranking from IAM Patent 1000 for National Patent Litigation Practice
May 21, 2019
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Band 1” National Rankings for Intellectual Property and ITC Practices in Chambers USA 2019
March 4, 2019
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Band 1” 2019 Rankings for Intellectual Property and ITC Practices from Chambers Global
August 15, 2018
47 Fish Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 List