Mr. Singer is a principal in the firm’s San Diego office and heads the firm’s life sciences litigation practice. Mr. Singer appears regularly as lead counsel in his matters and handles all aspects of litigation, including leading jury and bench trials, trying cases to administrative and arbitration panels and conducting briefing and arguments before the U.S. Courts of Appeals and the PTAB. Mr. Singer is annually named one of the nation’s finest life sciences trial attorneys and is an expert in proceedings under the Hatch-Waxman Act. His clients consistently praise his innovative and ground-breaking work and over the past two decades, he has successfully handled dozens of cases covering all aspects of the life sciences. In addition to his courtroom work, Mr. Singer regularly teaches life sciences trial and patent practice courses in the U.S. and Europe.
- “Counsel Reveal How Pharma Can Benefit from Patent Arbitration,” Managing IP (March 8, 2021)
- “Trends in Life Sciences Patent Litigation,” Corporate Counsel Business Journal (July 2019)
- “Virtual Opposition Proceedings Before the EPO, the Appeal Court of the Hague and in the PTAB,” C5’s Pharma & Biotech Patent Litigation in Europe Conference (February 23, 2021)
- “Pharma and Biotech Cases, Costs and Procedures in Arbitration and Mediation,” C5’s 10th Pharma & Biotech Patent Litigation Conference (February 2018)
- “The Patent Trial Appeal Board and Alternatives to Litigation,” C5’s Life Sciences IP Summit (October 2017)
- “Litigating Biosimilars,” C5’s Life Sciences IP Summit (October 2017)
A Conversation with Life Science Litigator Jonathan Singer
Course faculty member, “Biotechnology: Patent Prosecution, Licensing, Litigation, and Hatch-Waxman,” Patent Resources Group, Inc.
Recent Concluded Matters
Athena Diagnostics, et al v. Mayo Collaborative Services, et al (D.Mass.): District court and appellate counsel for Mayo defendants in action over Mayo’s test for Myasthenia Gravis. Judgment on the pleadings under Section 101 granted for Mayo. Affirmed on appeal.
Coherus Biosciences, Inc. v. AbbVie Biotechnology Ltd. (PTAB): PTAB counsel for petitioner Coherus. Argued and obtained first ever invalidity ruling on patents covering AbbVie’s blockbuster drug, HUMIRA®. Case settled on appeal.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. v. Merck & Co, Inc., et al, (N.D.Cal.): Trial counsel for Gilead against Merck in action over Gilead’s revolutionary Hepatitis C drugs, HARVONI® and SOVALDI®. After jury found liability against Gilead and awarded $200 million to Merck, led bench trial and hearings that resulted in district court setting aside the judgment for unclean hands. Affirmed on appeal. Read about this historic win here and here.
Idenix Corp. v. Gilead Sciences, Inc. (D.Del.): Trial counsel for Gilead in further action over Gilead’s Hepatitis C drugs HARVONI® and SOVALDI® by Merck subsidiary, Idenix. After jury found liability against Gilead and awarded damages in excess of $2 billion, argued JMOL proceedings that resulted in district court setting aside the judgment for lack of enablement of the patent-in-suit. Affirmed on appeal.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. v. AbbVie Biotechnology Ltd. (D.Del.): District court counsel for Gilead in action over Gilead’s Hepatitis C drugs HARVONI® and SOVALDI®. After favorable Markman ruling, case settled with business arrangement.
Aptalis Pharmatech, Inc., et al v. Apotex, Inc. et al (D.Del.): Trial counsel for plaintiffs in action over skeletal muscle relaxant drug AMRIX. Injunction secured against generic entry. After remand from Federal Circuit on infringement issues, case settled with business arrangement.
Cephalon, Inc., et al v. Mylan Labs, et al (D. Del.): Trial counsel for plaintiffs in Hatch-Waxman action over ANDA for breakthrough pain drug FENTORA®. Injunction entered against generic entry in July 2013. Case resolved on appeal with business arrangement.
Roche Palo Alto, et al v. Lupin, Ltd., et al (D.N.J.): Trial counsel for plaintiffs in Hatch-Waxman action over ANDA for angina drug RANEXA®; after three-week bench trial in May 2013, case settled with Lupin agreeing to forestall entry until three months before patent expiry.
Prometheus Laboratories v. Mayo Collaborative Services, et al (S.D.Cal.): District court and appellate counsel for defendants in patent infringement action over metabolite assays for thiopurine drugs. Argued and secured summary judgment of invalidity under 35 U.S.C. § 101. After reversal at Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, Supreme Court of the United States reversed appellate court at __ U.S. __, 132 S.Ct. 1289 (2012). Widely recognized as most important patent case of 2012.
Mayo Clinic, et al v. Peter Elkin (D.Minn.): Trial counsel for Mayo Clinic in trade secret case regarding natural language processing software. Jury verdict in favor of Mayo on willful trade secret misappropriation, intentional interference with contractual relations and other claims. Verdict affirmed at 2013 WL 4516191 (8th Cir. 2013).
Eurand, Inc. v. Impax Labs (In re Cyclobenzaprine) (D. Del.): District court and appellate counsel for plaintiffs in action for enforcement of settlement of Hatch-Waxman litigation. Secured judgment in favor of plaintiffs restraining defendant from launching product in February 2012. Affirmed at 504 Fed. Appx. 900 (Fed. Circ. 2013).
In re Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Extended Release Litigation (D. Del.): Trial and appellate counsel for plaintiffs in Hatch-Waxman actions over ANDAs for skeletal muscle relaxant AMRIX®. After verdict of obviousness, secured temporary restraining order against “launch at risk” by defendant Mylan. Secured reversal at Federal Circuit Court of Appeals at 676 F.3d 1063 (Fed. Cir. 2012).
Cephalon, Inc., et al v. Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al (D. Del.): Trial counsel for plaintiffs in Hatch-Waxman action over ANDAs for breakthrough pain drug FENTORA®. Injunction entered against generic entry at 769 F.Supp.2d 761 (D. Del.) in April 2011. Affirmed on appeal.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2016-2022)
- Finalist, “General Patent Litigator of the Year – California,” LMG Life Sciences (2021)
- “Leading Patent Professional” by IAM Patent 1000 (2021)
- “California Top IP Lawyer” by the Daily Journal (2017-2018, 2020-2021)
- “Life Science Star” by LMG Life Sciences (2012-2013, 2017-2021)
- “IP Star,” Managing Intellectual Property (2013-2021)
- “Lawyer of the Year” – Litigation, Patent in San Diego by Best Lawyers in America (2020)
- “General Patent Litigator of the Year – California” by LMG Life Sciences (2018)
- “Winning Litigator” by the National Law Journal (2018)
- “California Lawyer of the Year” by the Daily Journal (2018)
- Litigator of the Week, American Lawyer (2011-2012, 2016, 2018)
- “Life Sciences MVP” by Law360 (2013, 2015, 2018)
- Named one of the “Game Changers” by The Recorder (2017)
- One of San Diego’s Top Attorneys by San Diego Metro Magazine (2017)
- “Winning: High Stakes, Significant Victories,” National Law Journal’s Special Report (2016)
- Intellectual Asset Management, IAM Patent 1000 (2013, 2016-2020)
- “Trailblazer,” National Law Journal (2015)
- Leader in IP litigation, Chambers USA (2007 – 2015)
- 500 Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon (2013)
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics (2006, 2010-13, 2019)
- Appellate MVP, Law 360 (2012)
- “Best in Bar,” Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal (2012)
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer (2007, 2009, 2012)
- Intellectual Property Advisory Board, Law 360 (2011)
- Intellectual Asset Management, IAM Life Sciences 250 (2010)
- Client Service All-Star, BTI (2006)
“Jonathan Singer is brilliant, he’s incredible on his feet.”
— 2019 IAM Patent 1000
J.D. with honors, University of Chicago Law School (1992)
A.B., Chemistry, Dartmouth College (1986) Daniel Webster Scholar
- California 1997
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
October 5, 2021
LMG Life Sciences Awards Top Rankings to Fish & Richardson; 13 Principals Named 2021 “Life Sciences Stars”
September 23, 2021
Fish Named “Intellectual Property Boutique Firm of the Year” by LMG Life Sciences
August 19, 2021
Fish Attorneys Recognized in 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America
April 21, 2021
Daily Journal Recognizes Fish & Richardson Principals Juanita Brooks and Jonathan Singer as 2021 “Top Intellectual Property Lawyers”
February 23rd, 2021 | 8:00 am CET
C5 13th Annual Pharma & Biotech Patent Litigation in Europe
January 7, 2021
Fish & Richardson Receives 2020 “Attorney of the Year” Group Award from Minnesota Lawyer
September 29, 2020
Fish & Richardson Receives Top Firm Rankings and 14 Principals Named 2020 “Life Sciences Stars” by LMG Life Sciences
August 12, 2020
Fish & Richardson Receives Top “Gold” Ranking from IAM Patent 1000 for National Litigation Practice; National Rankings in the Plaintiff Firm and Prosecution Firm Categories
August 4, 2020
32 Fish & Richardson Attorneys Named 2020 “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine
April 2, 2020
Section 101: Cert. Denied … Now What?
Authors: Jonathan E. Singer, Betsy Flanagan, Deanna J. Reichel
February 11, 2020
Fish Named Law360 Life Sciences Practice Group of the Year
February 20th, 2020 | 1:00 pm EST
Webinar | Section 101: Cert. Denied...Now What?