Heather L. Flanagan, Ph.D.
- Phone Numbers
- o: 512-226-8156
Heather Flanagan integrates her legal and scientific knowledge to help clients identify, protect, and maximize the value of their intellectual property assets. Her focus on the specific needs and objectives of each client fosters a unique synergy with companies from start-ups to established entities, and her academic background provides a nuanced understanding of challenges faced by academic and research institutions.
Her command of science and technology provides a foundation for Heather’s ability to partner with businesses that advance innovation. Her personal interest in green chemistry and sustainability, alternative energy sources, rechargeable batteries, efficient lighting, and plant-based foods drives her dedication to provide unparalleled service to companies at the forefront of these industries.
Heather cultivates relationships based on trust and prioritizes mentoring and team building, with an emphasis on IP training and outreach, STEM education, women in law, and pro bono service. She is managing group leader for the firm’s Intellectual Property Group and an enthusiastic leader in the Fish Patent Lab, a well-honed, practical training program designed to steep interested clients and new legal staff in the firm’s collective patent prosecution wisdom. She is a member of the Central Texas Council of Girlstart, an organization that works to increase girls’ interest and engagement STEM education and careers. In the greater Austin community, Heather provides legal counsel to individuals and families through a variety of pro bono organizations.
Prior to joining Fish, Heather practiced at a local patent boutique and was director of intellectual property and grants at a start-up that licensed medical device technology from a major research institution.
Women Worth Watching in STEM
Susan P. Burton Award
Pro Bono Award
- American Inns of Court
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Central Texas Local Section Chair, American Chemical Society, 2020-2021
- Central Texas Council Member, Girlstart
- Co-chair, UTCLE Advanced Patent Law Institute, 2019
- Pathfinder Program, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2017
- Pathfinder Program Facilitator, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2018-2019
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court