With one foot in science and the other in law, Fish & Richardson has the experience, know-how, and resources to counsel oil & gas and petrochemical clients in all types of intellectual property matters – from obtaining patent protection to licensing to litigating hard-fought competitor cases.
To stay competitive, oil & gas and petrochemical companies must focus on innovation, while at the same time navigating complex political and regulatory challenges. With these challenges, it is crucial for companies to (a) develop a strategic plan to protect and monetize their intellectual property (IP) assets, (b) defend themselves and their technologies against infringement and assertions of infringement, and (c) develop and build critical relationships through licensing and M&A.
Fish & Richardson, the largest and top-ranked IP firm in the United States, partners with and guides each of our clients along the way. We have a wealth of experience counseling upstream, midstream, downstream, and fully integrated companies, providing comprehensive IP services designed to safeguard their assets, strengthen their position in the industry, and help align IP strategy with business goals and realities.
Experience of Team
Fish’s oil & gas and petrochemical attorneys have extensive legal and practical experience in petroleum engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, electrical and computer technologies, materials science, geology, and industrial engineering, among many other fields. Many of them worked in the oil & gas and petrochemical industries before practicing law, and bring with them skills and insights that are impossible to replicate without that experience. After decades of practice, we have navigated many changes in the oil & gas and petrochemical industries, giving us the unique ability to anticipate future changes based on lessons learned from the past.
Deep Technical Bench
Our expertise spans the full range of technologies used in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the oil & gas and petrochemical industries, including:
- Geological modeling
- Drilling and completion
- On and off shore hydraulic fracturing
- Storage and transportation
- Separation, conversion, and treatment
- Transportation fuels
- Commodity chemicals
- Specialty chemicals
- Polymers and commodity/specialty products
This unparalleled technical bench is what sets Fish apart; no matter what technology our clients have developed, chances are that we have an attorney who has personal experience and is an expert on it.
Comprehensive Legal Services
Not only do we know our clients’ technologies from top to bottom, we work with oil & gas and petrochemical companies of all sizes across every sector to develop comprehensive IP strategies that will maximize the value of their IP assets. We offer a full suite of IP services, including:
- Patent prosecution, counseling, and litigation
- Patent portfolio analysis and development
- IP due diligence in mergers, acquisitions, and licensing transactions
- Post-grant practice in the United States and abroad
- Trade secret counseling and litigation
- Trademark and copyright prosecution, counseling, and litigation
For our small and large oil & gas and petrochemical clients alike, we have handled prosecution, litigation, due diligence, valuations, risk analyses, portfolio strategy and planning, post-grant challenges, and validity and non-infringement opinions. We have advised on mergers, acquisitions, and licensing transactions. We have also sat on patent boards and technology committees to assist such clients in plotting their long-term patent portfolio strategies.
As the top-ranked patent litigation firm in the country, we are the go-to firm for handling complex, high-stakes IP litigation in district courts, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the International Trade Commission.
- Saudi Aramco is the world’s largest fully integrated petrochemical company, with research and development as an important part in the company’s overall strategy. Protection of new inventions is a critical aspect of Saudi Aramco’s growth. Fish manages a substantial amount of the patent preparation and prosecution for Saudi Aramco’s US and international patent portfolios. We also manage Saudi Aramco’s worldwide trademark portfolio and assist with IP-related agreement issues that arise, including assignment of IP rights from inventors to Aramco and between Aramco and its US and non-US subsidiaries.
- Fish represents Seabed Geosolutions in ongoing litigation, appeals, and post grant proceedings in federal district court and at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Seabed is a leading company in providing ocean bottom seismic technologies to the oil & gas industry.
- Fish obtained an injunction in Texas state court on behalf of our client against the world’s third largest chemical company to prevent the use and disclosure of trade secrets involving high density polyethylene manufacturing technology. The suit arose from the defendant’s licensing of confidential polyethylene technology to various manufacturers in other countries in contravention of licensing agreements. The injunction was affirmed on appeal by the Houston Court of Appeals. The case settled before trial but after the successful appeal.
- Fish represented an oil and gas engineering firm against three opponents – winning a major European Patent Office (EPO) opposition case. The EPO upheld our client’s patent on gas synthesis production using a GHR unit and a gas turbine system to generate steam that is used for heating fluids during gas production processes.
- Our client, an onshore gas producer and drilling contractor, received significant recognition for the strength of its patent portfolio. Fish handled all of the client’s patent work, including developing and managing its patent portfolio strategy. The company’s portfolio was listed in the Wall Street Journal as among the top five strongest patent portfolios in the Energy and Environmental category.
- Our client, an oil pipeline supplier, was sued by a competitor, who alleged state law tort claims and sought a declaratory judgment that its quench and temper coiled tubing products did not infringe our client’s patent. We filed counterclaims of infringement of three of our client’s patents. At the conclusion of a six-hour Markman hearing, the Court adopted our client’s constructions for every disputed term. This litigation is ongoing.
May 21, 2021
Philadelphia Business Journal Recognizes Fish & Richardson Principal Nitika Gupta Fiorella in its 2021 “40 Under 40” List
January 5, 2021
Fish & Richardson Elevates Its Most Diverse Principal Class Ever
October 30, 2019
Fish & Richardson Named Most Innovative Law Firm Operations Team of the Year
April 5th, 2018 | 8:45 am CDT
The State Bar of Texas: International Law 30th Annual Institute
March 22nd, 2018 | 8:00 am CDT
2nd Energy Industry Intellectual Property Law Conference
November 9th, 2017 | 7:30 am CST
CAIL Energy Litigation Conference
June 2, 2017
Two Fish Principals Named Energy & Environmental Trailblazers
June 8, 2016
Fish Receives Top “Band 1” National Rankings for Intellectual Property and ITC Practices in Chambers USA 2016
November 17, 2015
Fish's Cynthia Walden Quoted in Law 360 Article, "6 Tips To Ensure Partner Meetings Aren't A Waste Of Time"
November 16, 2013
Garmin International, Inc. v. Cuozzo Speed Technologies, LLC, IPR2012-00001, Paper 59 (PTAB Nov. 13, 2013).
July 2, 2009
Fish wins the Gold Award for the “United States of America’s Best Law Firm 2009: Intellectual Property Practice"
March 27, 2009
Fish Wins National Award For Most Innovative Use of Technology