Ruffin Cordell is a Principal of Fish & Richardson in the firm's Washington, DC, office. His practice emphasizes all aspects of intellectual property litigation. He appears regularly as lead counsel before federal district courts in Texas, Virginia, California, and throughout the country, and has extensive experience before the ITC in Section 337 proceedings.
Mr. Cordell has handled patent and trade secret cases involving microprocessors, operating system software, flash memory, product activation software, hybrid vehicles, graphics controllers, imaging sensors, dense wave division multiplexed telecommunications systems, unified messaging systems, Ethernet network systems, multi-protocol routers, DSL devices, digital loop carriers, class IV tandem switches, cellular switches, metro class drop add multiplexers, optical switching platforms, supervisory signaling point equipment, broadband access systems, unified frame buffer structures, three dimensional graphics platforms, digital memory structures, and storage devices. He has also handled cases involving complex ophthalmic devices, optoelectronic devices, pharmaceuticals, and automotive devices.
Prior to joining Fish & Richardson, Mr. Cordell served as a Patent Examiner in computer interface device technology at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Cordell was recognized as one of the industry's leading litigators in Intellectual Asset Magazine's international listing of the "Patent Litigation 250" (2011). He has also been named one of The Best Lawyers in America (2006 to 2013), among the "Top 50 Under 45" attorneys in IP Law & Business (May 2008), and one of the Legal Times' "Leading IP Lawyers in D.C." (October 2003).
Patent Examiner, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Inducted as a Fellow into American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in America
- IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property (2013)
- Selected for inclusion as “top patent practitioners” in IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012)
- Recognized as one of the industry’s leading litigators in Intellectual Asset Magazine’s “Patent Litigation 250” (2011)
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2014)
- Selected as a Leader in the IP practice area (2012) by Chambers USA
- The Lawdragon Leading Lawyers in America (2010)
- Among the “Top 50 Under 45” attorneys in IP Law & Business (2008)
- One of the Legal Times’ “Leading IP Lawyers in D.C.” (2003)
Menell, Peter S., Busey, George Brian, Cordell, Ruffin, Davis, Mark G., Powers, Matthew D. and Sobin, Sturgis, Section 337 Patent Investigation Management Guide. UC Berkeley Public Law Research Paper No. 1603330. May 2010.